Rhubarb makes your summer entertaining easy!
It wouldn’t be summer if we didn’t share at least one rhubarb recipe! Rhubarb is a great garden vegetable that requires little care and is quite prolific once it becomes established after a year or two. Rhubarb is also versatile, lending it’s unique flavor to savory and sweet recipes. It can be used to make sauces, syrups, chutneys, pies, cakes and much more with a little research! Don’t forget to freeze your some of your rhubarb harvest, as rhubarb is still not available during the winter months!
With this recipe you will be able to bake a cake that is light and flavorful, perfect time for summer entertainment.
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. In the first bowl, cream together the brown sugar and the butter.
2. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir well.
3. Add the sour milk and stir well.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in the second bowl.
5. Add the mixture Sent from my iPhone
6. Add the rhubarb and mix well to ensure even distribution.
7. Grease a 9×11 baking dish and pour the mixture.
8. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a third bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter.
9. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
10. Serve and enjoy!